Monday, November 30, 2009

Returing To School After 40

I, Joyce Barnett, gave myself a gift on my birthday two years ago. I decided to do something I had been wanting to do for years! I returned to school. It was the best time to go for it. My sons were both grown men, and I became single after many years of being married. What was I going to do with my life? This was not something I wondered, but became a frequently asked question by others. Ofcourse, I knew I would do the things I always wanted to do, and continuing my education was one of them.

I do admit that I had to make a decision which would enhance my life and take me to the next level so that I could reach my "higher self". The day I enrolled in school, I had been experiencing a very stressful day. I was on the verge of tears, when I decided to end the procrastination of enrolling. I knew that I wanted to get my degree in the Justice field because of things that I had not only experienced, but witnessed in the lives of others as well.

I love being in the classroom and interacting with both students and instructors. The diversity is wonderful even when we do not all agree with varied opinions.. including the instructor's. There is something good about walking the hallways and seeing the different faces, and befriending some. Some classes have been more challenging than others, but at the end of the day I appreciate having a second chance in life to do this.

I encourage as many "late bloomers", to return to school. We have to keep up with what is happening in our society because the longer we live, we will be affected by various decisions. We can still make a contribution of our own no matter what our age is.

No comments:

Post a Comment